Friday, August 29, 2008

Random Thoughts



I am currently raising my fist at nature. So inefficient. The first days with a human infant--at least in our case--are extremely difficult. We find him very beautiful though... which is surely a help. Somehow this little Smiegel-like creature is perfection to us, even as he is so often inconsolable. I guess he is pissed off about how much more work non-womb existence can be. Or maybe he was equally distressed by the harsh exit involving 52 hours of labor. I know I won't be over it any time soon.

In other news, our cat Lyle is shocked that we brought another animal into the house and cries in harmony with Emmett. We can't tell whether the cries convey sympathy ("imitation of the affects," in Spinoza's terms), competitiveness ("I cry, too"), or a reaction to the unpleasantness of this other animal's cry ("make it stop").

See also some documentation of the copper hair and massive feet.

2 comments:

Noël said...

I know that after a few days of relative quiet Jamie seemed quite distressed at his new home, as well. And I do think being born is hard on babies psychologically . . . but it's amazing to watch them wake up and start noticing things. Even through my sleep-deprived haze I really enjoyed that aspect of our first weeks with Jamie.

What a cute diaper! Thanks for the feet shot . . . they're like a lab puppy's feet--adorably large for the current body size.

Hasana said...

thanks noel. everyone says the first days at home are v. hard. our biggest challenge is that he will only v. rarely nurse... and his waking hours are 70% crying. luckily he sleeps a ton, but i miss his beautiful eyes.